Tuesday, January 3, 2012

We bought a Zoo

We started a new family tradition on New Years Day. (blogs on our first Christmas together and Christmas break to come...)


We went to the movies! Growing up, we had family movie day sometimes on Christmas night or on Thanksgiving night and I remember it always being the BEST because my dad would splurge for the popcorn, special topping, pop, candy and all! I knew this would be special for our kids because the few times we have gone to the movies I have been "that mom" that packs the snacks and waters. I know- LAME MOM!


Anyways, we decided on We Bought a Zoo because it looked like it was going to be good for Brad and I and the kids LOVE the zoo and love animals.


So as we are sitting through the movie, I begin to realize- this is a metaphor for our life! We bought a zoo! We did something crazy when the world was saying no. We took on a challenge that not everyone was excited about, and was not easy- sometimes the hardest at times. We took on a challenge that will require constant learning, adapting, adjusting and passion. We bought a zoo!


My favorite quote from the movie was:


All it takes is 20 seconds of insane courage and great things will happen!


This reminds me of when I made the call to CYS to tell them that, yes, we will adopt the kids. I remember it was such a short phone call and at the end.... it didn't feel real or official yet... but my call had made me a mom.


Our zoo for sure is crazy, broken, fun, silly, tiring, frustrating, loving... but it is our zoo... and we wouldn't change a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment